Tuesday 20 April 2010

No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die...

MGM have done what countless villains could not, and killed Bond off. The new film is on indefinite hiatus, causing mild disappointment in many. It would have been the 23rd film in the series, but the studio isn't sure it'd be around long enough to finish it off.

Amazingly, in 22 films (not the longest running film series, by the way. Godzilla claims that title with a mighty 30 films) I've yet to find one that I enjoy. Bond just isn't very interesting, and the formula is the same in each film. Despite this, the rest of the world seems to love them, and him.

I suspect it's because we're told we should. Bond is the ultimate 'man' character, shooting and shagging his way through acres of celluloid. My disliking him means I am not a true man and my man-card must be revoked. I can live with that.

Personal dislike aside, I doubt this is the last of Bond. The studio will leave him strapped to the table and leave the room, and he'll back to save the franchise in the final act. Men will have manly hugs and women will squeal with joy. I'll sulk in a corner and ignore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment